Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Something I didn't expect to find!

Some friends and I went out antique and vintage store shopping on the weekend. We usually go once or twice a year and always find something interesting.

We had stopped in this one shop that specialized in antique military stuff. It's just crammed full of everything from uniforms, helmets, small lead toys, medals and all kinds of other stuff. So interesting to poke through.
As I was looking through the store I noticed something that caught my eye sticking up out of a round sort of umbrella holder.....

An antler handle.....

It was exactly what I thought it was! An old hunting whip! So of course, I had to have it. I was suprised when the price tag said $35.00. From what I've seen hunt whips can be a lot more expensive.
This one doesn't have a maker's mark on it anywhere. I know it's real antler and the end part is lashed on with a very fine string of rawhide, I have no idea what kind of wood it is. What a find though!!



No comments:

Post a Comment