Wednesday, November 10, 2010

First acupuncture visit

It went really well. I wasn't really sure what to expect but it was really fascinating. There's a lot of science behind it. I really like my vet because she's a very down to earth, no-nonsense type person. She's not into the fluffy spiritual stuff, she uses treatments like this because it works. That's what convinced me to give it a try.
I was a little concerned about Brigit being needle-shy and flinching but she was so good. The first needle that went in was at her poll, apparently that one releases endorphins and calms them. It seemed to do the trick.

For the most part she didn't even notice the needles going in. They are so tiny and thin that they go in very easily. The vet put two in her shoulders (this was a bit of a sore area) and one in each elbow, apparently those are for their immune system. The one in her elbow was really fascinating because she put it in and some muscles on her flank started to "shiver". It really showed how everything was connected. She put a few in on her back and up by her hips. And couple in the neck. I was happy to hear that her back wasn't sore. There was also a needle put into the front of each stifle, Brigit wasn't too keen on those ones. That was probably the sore-est part of her (as expected). We had to pick up a front leg and hold it up in order to get those ones in because she kept jerking her leg away. After all the needles were in, it was just a matter of letting them sit for awhile and do their thing.

It was neat to watch the muscles around the needles, you could see them almost vibrating. My vet was telling me that some horses that have really bad muscle issues, their muscles will literally "grab" onto the needle when it goes in, making it nearly impossible to pull out again until it's ready to come out. Fascinating.

She said to expect her to be a bit body sore and maybe stiff today and tomorrow as the results are similar to a very deep muscle massage. I'm going to leave her until next week to try riding her. We'll be heading for another treatment next week as well. I think after 2 or 3 treatments, I'll be sending her to the "pool" as the vet thinks that's an excellent idea too.

So keep your fingers crossed that it's helping! And I totally forgot to try and get any pictures, I will try next time.

Anyways, I'm off for a long weekend and a road trip, so I probably won't post until monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment