Friday, February 18, 2011

I don't think I like shipping saddles!!

What a pain in the bum! First trying to find a box big enough to accomodate the saddle and packing materials. Then trying to get a quote for shipping. That's the worst part!!

Yesterday I took the box measurements to the post office in my town, I had the measurements and estimated it to weigh about 40lbs or 18 kg. They gave me a quote I thought was quite reasonable.

So today, before I can send the final invoice to the person, I took the box to the post office, with the saddle et al in it and got an exact quote just to be sure. To my suprise, it only weighs 12.6kg's or 27.72lbs but somehow the shipping is now $30 more expensive and will take an additional 3 days.

I'm baffled!

Now I'm waiting on a quote from UPS and DHL. Hopefully I can get this all figured out in the next hour!

The moral of this story... Keep future sidesaddles and just build more saddle racks in the basement! lol

2 comments:

  1. Long before I got the idea to hoard side saddles, I began hoarding boxes. My rule before listing anything larger than a magazine on ebay is it has to be packed and ready for tape and labels. And I've still had at least 2 things shatter en route. One was a large (hollow) horse head sculpture, and the other was a small wooden step stool... go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a very good idea. Luckily our IT department had a stash from a recent load of printers, that saved the day! To be honest, I didn't think it would sell and was really suprised when it did, I had a reserve on it for $400 and a buy it now for $500 but I figured I'd give it a try.
    The saddle is on it's way now and should be there in 7 business days.
    I really hope the person enjoys it and can put it to use. It was only collecting dust around here.

    ReplyDelete